Plant

Plant

Wednesday 2 August 2017

Been busy

So. I've taken about eighteen months off away from the blog. I have been busy with my grandson, looking after him three days a week, while his mummy and daddy work. He's now coming up for two years old and is absolutely adorable. Into everything, very cheeky, and now being able to put a few words together. He's been walking since he was ten months. my days are very full when I have him.
I also have my mum living with us now which is lovely. the grandson loves her to bits.

I'm still knitting. Knitted loads for my grandson over the last couple of years. Busy knitting socks at the moment, then back to knitting for the little boy :-)

Also, I'm still doing my best to live as economically as I can. Doesn't always work out, and I have had to waste food, but I haven't done too bad really over the last year and a half. I have manged to re-create meals from left overs, and in more cases than not, used up foods before they would have seen the bin. This time of year is brilliant for using up fridge hanger oners. I tend to do a salad when foods look like they are piling up. I bung it all on the table along with some fresh salad stuff, and usually some hot boiled new potatoes, and it's amazing how suddenly it's enthusiastically munched up :-) Of course, with left over casserole, that usually becomes a pie, or I will freeze leftovers down in containers ready for a meal that I don't have to cook one evening :-)

I'm vegetarian now. Have been since May. I have felt hypocritical for a long time eating meat, because I know that I could never kill an animal myself. When Theresa May said she was going to bring back fox hunting, I was horrified. I re-examined my motives for meat eating, so decided to try it for  month and take it from there. So far, I'm still happy not meat eating :-) I did consider vegan, and maybe in the future I will give it a try, but at the moment I'm ok with just being a veggie :-)

Here is a bug bear though. Eating out as a vegetarian is a nightmare, as the veggie food on offer in most places is horrendous. Eating out as a dieting veggie is even worse!!!!!!!! :-/ because the veggie foods often on offer are usually highly calorific. I could have a salad, but boy, don't restaurants charge a mint for salads that usually appear very limp and un-appetising and swimming in salad oil if you've forgotten to ask for a naked salad :-) I did however have a reasonably good veggie meal at Ikea in Bristol the other day. I had their veggie balls with wheat pilau (not sure on the spelling there) and i enjoyed it :-) Also a couple of months back I had a veggie burger in an eating place in Reading Service Station, I hadn't started a diet then, but I was watching what I was eating, I think it might have been a bit high in calories, but it was very nice.

When I first went veggie, I lost half a stone, but it plateaued at that for several weeks, so I decided I would diet. I'd been putting it off for a while, trying to be god, but dismally failing, so I went back onto a Weight Watchers diet plan. I do the no count one, as that suits my lifestyle. I only started it a week ago, so haven't much progress to report. I am however enjoying it :-)

Tonight's  meal was chilli bean pasta. One of the easiest meals ever, and 'free' on the WW no-count plan. I saute some onion, garlic and mushrooms in a pan, add some chopped tomatoes, baked beans. a tin of  mixed beans in chilli sauce, a small amount of hot chilli powder as I'm a wimp with anything too hot and spicy, herbs and seasoning. bring it to boil, and let it simmer while the past cooks. I cook my pasta in the microwave.I also use wholemeal pasta, as this is 'free' on the no-count plan. When the pasta is cooked, mix it all together and enjoy :-) My lot has grated cheese on theirs, and I mixed a little yeast flakes on mine :-) As today has been a very rainy dull day and a bit cold, despite it being August, to have a warming chilli meal was somewhat comforting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment