Plant

Plant

Tuesday 15 February 2022

Ha!!

 Doing my usual, and leaving another nearly a year to slip by before coming on here again. Let’s see if I can be a bit more faithful this time :-)

At the end of this month, all Covid restrictions are going to be lifted here in the UK. Although, I must admit, I feel pretty much back to normal anyway. I still wear a face covering in the shops. The reason for that is because in July, after a lot of problems getting to see a doctor at her surgery, one of my daughters was diagnosed with blood cancer. Thankfully, she has pulled through, as much as anyone who has experienced cancer can, now it’s the five year waiting game. All looking positive at the moment though. Anyway, just as she was diagnosed, looking at her, you wouldn’t think there was anything wrong with her. At that time, I couldn’t wait to stop having to wear the face coverings, but her diagnosis made me think, I could be stood behind someone in the supermarket, and they could have a life threatening illness, which, if aggravated by catching something like Covid, could become even more serious. So, for now, and for a little while after the restrictions are dropped, I will continue wear a face covering while in shops.

I'm thinking of starting a compost bin. I'm hating having to throw stuff away that could become something else. My diet has been plant based for nearly a year now, and it has made think a lot more ethically. I question what I throw away. I know what I choose to do isn't going to 'save the planet' as such, but I do feel, if each and every one of us, do what we can, then it's going to help. I think my body has definitely benifitted from a plant based diet. I don't feel so sluggish, and I look forward to my dinner. It's generally colourful, and very tasty. Having a daughter chef living with me, but sadly only for a while now as she is moving to her own house, has helped give the confidence to be a bit more adventerous with my seasonings etc. 

I did realsise the other day that socks I made for Christmas for two of my children who are also plant based, had wool in them :-( I have a largeish basket with sock wool in it as well lol. I have to be honest, that I don't feel quite so convicted over wool, but I do realise that in a lot of cases, now-a-days, sheep aren't given the nicest experience when being shorn, and because of man's greed for wool, sheep were bred to be shorn, instead of being left to shed their coat naturally, and of course now, If a sheep isn't shorn, it can make them ill as they can harbour all sorts in their fleeces. I have seen sheep being dipped and shorn, when I was a child. My aunt and uncle and my mum's cousin had farms. I would watch them shear the sheep. Back then it was a lot more humane I think, though I do acknowledge their are still farmers who shear their sheep as gentle as they can. I suppose it's more the mass production etc that puts a sorrowful face on it. I have heard though, farmers can'r sell their fleeces/wool so easy now. ANyway, there are so many other fibre options out there, that I'm going to shift over to ethical/plant based fibers. I will give some of my sock wool away, and knit up socks for my non plant based girls with the rest :-) I'm probably going to start some separate pages to discuss all things plant based and planet friendly. Bare in mind though, I am a novice, just starting to climb the ladder, so some of my thoughts might be thoughts I wouldn't be holding at some time down the line.

Other topics I want to put up are about coping in todays expensive world. I have a big bug bear about that, and will be starting a section soley on that topic.

Of course my crafty stuff will still be appearing. I will use my i-pad to post those, as that's easier. 

I'm still doing my family tree, so keep an eye in tht section, and I think I'd quite like to do a little 'back in time' with my relatives an do articles on them in that time etc.

I won't delete previous stuff, but some of those pages I might not use anymore.

So, here we go. 2022, let's get blogging :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment